Are you familiar with this literary prize? In an effort to widen my reading, geographically speaking, I have followed the Man Asian Literary Prize with interest. (It is sponsored by the same people who sponsor the Man Booker Prize, so sometimes this award is referred to as the Man Asian Booker Prize.) The shortlist for 2011 has just been announced, and the judges were evidently spoiled for choice. Instead of the usual five books chosen, there are seven. Here they are courtesy of the Man Asian Literary Prize website, which you can find here.
- The Wandering Falcon by JAMIL AHMAD, Pakistan
- Rebirth by JAHNAVI BARUA, India
- The Sly Company of People Who Care RAHUL BHATTACHARYA, India
- River of Smoke by AMITAV GHOSH, India
- Please Look After Mom by KYUNG-SOOK SHIN, South Korea
- Dream of Ding Village by YAN LIANKE, China
- The Lake by BANANA YOSHIMOTO, Japan